Monday, July 07, 2008

Tour de France


The biggest bicycle race of the year started a couple of days ago. Today was the 3rd stage. A Frenchman has taken the yellow jersey today away from a Spaniard who held it for the first two days. While there are some U.S. riders in the running, I don't see their chances being so dominant as in the days of Lance. However, after today's exciting race where 4 riders broke away at the beginning and stayed away from the rest of the pack for over 200 km - finishing more than 2 minutes ahead of the next group - an American has taken 3rd place overall. His name is William Frischkorn. I've never heard of him, but I'm sure I'll hear more now.

I like watching the race unfold. It's a great international event, and the strategy of it all is very interesting to me. As I don't think I have too many cycling fans in my reader pool, I'll leave my comments at this for now. If anyone is interested, please comment. I'd love to discuss.

Here's a link to the official site for those interested:
http://www.letour.com/us/

4 comments:

Liz said...

Know what I found out? It turns out that our neighbor across the street is part of a 2nd cycling group in Tyler. So much for y'all meeting & inviting him to church. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

The only thing entertaining about the Tour is the beginning when folks are getting run over by the cars and motorcycles with cameras.

Awesome.

Pedro

Nathan said...

Pedro, let me direct you to my latest post about brotherly kindness.

Thanks brother.

Anonymous said...

Brotherly kindness towards tour de france riders?

I like to think of it the same way I deal with America's funniest home videos, the kind where dad gets whacked in the nads by inadvertent bat from son.

I'm laughing with them, not at them.

I promise though if you ever enter the Tour and get run over I will not laugh and show proper concern.

In brotherly love,
Pedro