Thursday, November 10, 2005

Proposition 2

So let's start this blog off with a bang. I was going to start it with a nice little greeting and description of myself, but I'll save that one for another day. Instead, let's look at our religious politics here in the great state of Texas.

Tuesday, we here in Texas by a vast majority passed Proposition 2, which strictly defines (according to the government) marriage as being between one man and one woman. Great. I believe that God designed marriage to be that way as well, and as a Christian I do my best to live according to God's laws and his calling on my life. However, I also am in this world and not of it and I expect to be different from the rest of the world. Otherwise, how would I be a light set apart if I live in the midst of a government designed to be just like me. So, here are my top five reasons why Prop 2 stinks (in no particular order of stinkiness):

5. Constitutional amendments should be enabling freedoms, not restricting them.
Though I theologically agree with the basis behind this limitation, making it law only sets a precedent. What right will I my government take away from me just because the majority feels like it at the time? I am glad our nation was founded by forefathers who were men of faith. I'm glad also that they had knew (many through their only religious oppressions) that a theocracy is not the best form of government but a democratic republic that strongly stressed freedom of the individual, not restrictions based on their personal beliefs at the time.

4. Scripture says to love my neighbor as myself, not force my beliefs on my neighbor.
What form of Christianity is this?

3. Marriage is God's design, not man's.
Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's (Mark 12:17). I believe in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman and that this sanctity truly comes from God. Why would I want to force nonbelievers into a covenant in which they do not believe? I choose to render this to God and not put my faith in the government to protect God's covenant.

2. "Come out from them and be separate" (2 Cor. 6:17)
As temples of God, we are to be separate from the world. There should be no agreement between us as temples of God and "idols" aka this world we are in. Scripture says we are not to conform to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Rom. 12:2). I would say that it follows that we should not conform this world's government to our convictions.

1. Outlawing gay marriage is detrimental to our call to spread the gospel to all people.
Christ called us to go into the world and make disciples (Matt. 28:19), not make law. He does tell us in this passage that we should teach those disciples to "observe all that I commanded you". But a state amendment is no way to teach. Disciples will learn and obey out of love, not grudgingly under the law. Paul spent a great deal of time in Romans teaching us that sin takes opportunity to reproduce through the law's acknowledgment of it. How are we going to gain an audience with someone who hates our new law?

One final question: when do we get to start getting all riled up about an amendment to outlaw no fault divorce? If we are truly looking to preserve marriage, I think this one would be more effective.

Technorati Tags : , , ,

2 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

Wow you did get started with a bang.

Great thoughts here. I was told before I came to Texas I might be the most liberal person in the church. Yes, I am a Christian but I don't agree with legislating morality and I think sometimes the church takes an "us vs. them" mentality instead of coming alongside culture to influence it.

I might still be the most liberal but perhaps I have a partner. :)

I'll throw another log in the fire: Have you ever thought about the idea that being pro-life means being against captial punishment? If we value the sanctity of life, shouldn't we value all life no matter what the person has chosen to do with it? Just a question.

Nathan said...

I have become more "liberal" as I've grown. However, I still think of myself as more libertarian as opposed to democrat because I like the government out of everyone's business as much as possible. So, you may find someone who runs alongside you in many ways.

To answer your question, yes - you would think pro-life should be all life. The movement definitely has encompassed an opinion against euthenasia, but has been less than enthusiastic about the death penalty for crimes. I've thought about this before. Of course, it's a difficult concept to think about especially now that I have a child of my own. If he was molested and/or killed, I may seriously want to consider the death penalty. However, is that my own nature wanting vengance? I believe it probably would be.

What about Hitler, Stalin, Hussein? They definitely would be members of "the axis of evil" if I were choosing membership, but am I to do that? Should it be my decision to take their life because they have tortured and taken the lives of so many?

However, this thought leads me to the next question, which I don't know how to Biblically answer. What about judging them in any way? As a Christian, judgement is not mine, but as a person in this world, I need their ability to continue to harm and influence others taken away.