Monday, December 12, 2005

Huntin'

Last weekend, I was invited to go hunting with some friends. I've never been hunting before this, so I was excited and I guess you could say a little nervous. I grew up out in a development where everyone had a least 5 acres in an area protected from hunting. So, I've been a deer watcher all my life and had lots of fun "tracking deer" on our land growing up. Since I had never hunted before and did not have a license or anything, I went as a "goer" and not a "hunter". But, I had a blast. I think I caught the bug. We went on 3 hunts. I played the role of spotter with a friend of mine who was hunting. We got 3 whitetail deer in the first 2 hunts, and I was pumped. I really wanted to take a shot myself and my friend suggested that I give it a try on our third and last hunt. As fate would have it, however, we didn't see anything that morning, so I missed my chance. Oh well.

The trip was still a blast. The hunting excursions were almost a side note to the time of eating and playing poker or dominoes....just your basic male bonding. If I get invited again next season, I'm going to be sure and get a license and a little rifle use and safety training beforehand.

Technorati Tags : Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

m.d. mcmullin said...

I had a good time too as a 'goer'. I love the farside cartoon.