Thursday, December 01, 2005

Remodel

I spent the entire day yesterday working on a remodel for our study. You can see that in the study, we had 4 small closets lining one wall. The second from the left was set up to be a media closest, but as you can see even a moderately sized television wouldn't fit inside. So, we decided to combine the two left-most closets and create one large media closet out of them.

This wasn't supposed to be that big of a job, but these sort of things seem to never be as simple as I expect them to be.

My friend Scott, who is a home builder came over to help me with demolition. "It'll just take 30 minutes." Well, 30 minutes turned into all day. The two closets had originally been an after thought it turns out because there was no proper head board and frame above them. This means we had to tear out all the way to the ceiling, then build down a new frame and header, hang sheet rock, and then tape and float everything again.

I'm actually proud of all we did. We got a lot accomplished in 8 hours, which included several small breaks to do some work that we were actually supposed to be getting done that day. I'm very grateful to Scott for his help.

As you can guess, these are pictures of before and during. I need to float the dry wall again to smooth out all the joints, add a little texture and repaint the green walls, then build out shelves to go inside the closet. The doors are being ordered today and should come next week.

All in all, the day was fun. I enjoy a little creative work where you get your hands dirty every once in a while and you don't have to think about any of the normal day's troubles that come with my regular job.

I'll post again as work progresses. I definitely plan to be done by Christmas, but hope to finish much sooner.

Technorati Tags : ,

3 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

Cool - Handyman Nate

I look forward to seeing the finished product. I wondered where your TV was since it wasn't in your living room. I thought maybe you didn't watch TV.

Nathan said...

That's actually our old tv that you see. It's about to give up the ghost. The left speakers don't work at all and the right sometimes start buzzing loudly. We bought a new one that is bigger and won't fit on that little stand we have, which was the final motivation to start the remodel. We had already planned to do it because we want to close off the tv rather than make it the center of our room.

Yes, we do watch TV, but we've never had anything but an antenna. However, we'll probably soon be making the plunge with our new larger television. Now, what was the minor nuisance of small static and snow on the screen has become greatly magnified with the new larger set.

Unknown said...

The joys of a remodel. When you are ready, you can practice some more on mine. I still have a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen to do!