Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Anne Rice


A friend of mine gave me a subscription to Christianity Today for Christmas. The first issue I received had several stories about the new Narnia movie, C.S. Lewis, and an interview with Doug Gresham which were all interesting. However, hidden between these was a little article about Anne Rice that I thought very interesting.

Apparently the famous vampire novelist has undergone a renewed faith in Christ and has departed from her old ways. In fact, she has a new historical novel out called Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt that tells about Christ's childhood and the time spent in Egypt.

Anne Rice has made quite an impact on the literary world in the past and thus has a substantial following. I'm curious to hear more about this. I'm a bit surprised (should I be?) that I haven't heard more about this before. I imagine her stance on homosexuality has restricted the Christian media from promoting her much and her abandonment of vampires (she says "I'll never go back") for Jesus has restricted the secular media. Take a look at the article from Christianity Today(linked below). If anyone has read this new book or heard anything else, please pass it on to me.

Article Link

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Bryan said...

I am listening to the book on audible.com -- on chapter 2 or 3. So far, it is pretty interesting. Worth a read.

m.d. mcmullin said...

I heard a reveiw of the book on NPR (shout out to public radio listeners-represent!).

The critic competely dismantled the book. he didn't really talk much about the content, except to say it was spurious, but ripped the literary style.

After hearing him you would have thougth Anne Rice had never been published.

Anonymous said...

My comment is a bit tardy but Anne Rice is still kickin it Catholic style in 08' so the topic is still relevant. I heard her on a interview with Alan Colmes. The interview was a softball but she said her peace. She combined her anger at the government, Katrina frustrations, beach erosion, penguins in distress over global warming, her support of Hillary Clinton, and her new found love for God. In her conversation God was in the center while the other issues whirled around Him like celestial objects. I wrote her an email challenging her support for a person who advocates and supports the right of Americans to kill their children. I ask her to help me understand how she balanced her love for God and her support for Hillary. I told her that we may save penguins and the environment but we may loose our eternal souls in the process. She respected my inquiry but her response never addressed my question. So, there ya go.

http://www.annerice.com/

anneobrienrice@mac.com