Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Missional Life

One of the blogs I like to keep track of is by my friend, John, who is a "home missionary" to the campus of Texas A and leads Chi Alpha, the college christian group that I was part of. In his latest posts on his blog, thunk, he has been giving account of a retreat he took his students on over part of the Christmas break. This conference has completely been transformed from when I attended as a college student. It's a phenominal concept, really. Chi Alpha is affiliated with the Assembly of God denomination. Their new winter conference - called the World Mission Summit - is a cooperative effort between Chi Alpha and the World Missions department. The conference drew together over 3500 students and 400 missionaries. Missionaries taught sessions and mingled with the students as they were presented the world right there in Louisville, KY, resulting in eyes being open and commitments being made to give a year to missions. It sounds like it was a great conference. I'm a bit envious both of the conference experience and the great emphasis on missions that this denomination (in which I grew up) places. Now, as I have moved to a new town and began communing with a Church of God body, I find myself missing this piece now and then.

That aside, however, my hearing about this conference came at an appropriate time. It has helped me refocus for the new year on what I believe to be God's directive for my life as a whole - to live a missional life. That's the most important thing. In my current world, one in which we've now lived in a new town for a year and a half, have become very involved in our church, and now have a 6 month old son, I feel like I need to reevaluate how I'm doing here and how I can improve. All of these changes have been life comsuming, but it's time to refocus so that I can, through God's direction and strength, better engage my community and the world with the gospel.

I'm sure there'll be more posts about this in the future, but if anyone out there is thinking on the same lines (or different ones) and wants to comment, I'm all ears.

Technorati Tags: ,

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: