Monday, June 30, 2008

2nd Amendment

Last week the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to overturn Washington D.C.'s ban on handgun ownership. The NRA and the pro-gun side are cheering a victory and hoping this open the doors to overturn bans all over the country. The anti-gun side, while disappointed, seems to be breathing a sigh of relief that this ruling remained vague enough to allow states and local areas to maintain certain bans since the majority opinion spoke directly to the plaintiff's wish to keep the gun in his private home for self defense.

There are a couple of things about this case that caught my attention. First, the case itself and the man who brought it to trial. Everything about it grabs attention, from the story to the face of the man himself. CBS Sunday Morning had a story yesterday on the case. Here's a link to the web story. The title sums it up:

Targeting The Supreme Court

How A Libertarian Who's Never Owned A Gun Brought The Decisive Case On The Second Amendment

And here's the man: Robert Levy. It's really priceless. This guy's never owned a gun, but he chose to meticulously plan and self finance this case, taking it all the way to the Supreme Court. What's more, it's the only case he's ever litigated. He deliberately kept the NRA out of the trial and specifically targeted the constitutionality the issue according to the 2nd Amendment. Genius.

The second thing is that Barak Obama endorsed the decision and Judge Scalia's majority opinion. There are several thoughts running through my head about that one, but I'm going to leave it at that for now.

So, what are your thoughts about the case and the interpretation of the "right to bear arms"? I think it really captured my attention because from a democracy standpoint I lean toward the ideal of - as Levy puts it - "free markets, individual liberty, private property and, most of all, strictly limited government" but at the same time I don't own a gun. I've never shot a handgun, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've fired a gun of any kind.

From a Christian prospective a whole other issue arises. Whether we should have this right or not, is there a reason that a Christian should own a gun merely for self-defense? A broader way to look at that discussion is: where does self-defense fall in the call of Christ to love our enemies, turn the other cheek, do good to those that hate you? My friend Nick has been discussing the love of enemies in a recent post on his blog here.

I know this post is flying in all sorts of directions. If anyone is interested in following any one (or all) of these rabbit trails, feel free. I'm interested.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2nd amendment is there largely as a protective measure against totalitarian government. Most libertarians aggressively defend the right, especially today on the basis of eroding privacy rights via laws like the Patriot Act and others of it's ilk. They venture into conspiracy theory, but on the whole there's something to be said about the "right to bear arms" being about something much broader and more important than Hunter John going out to shoot his buck with a semi-automatic.

Escalating violence in urban neighborhoods (in this case D.C.) cause the pendulum to swing aggressively against the 2nd amendment right via "reasonable local law gun restrictions" as Obama puts it. Now, thanks to this random dude, it comes around the other way. Sounds good to me.

As for the Christian's right to bear arms, I think it's a misleading interpretation of scripture to say that Jesus' and Paul's teachings on peaceful living translate to no guns allowed. Sure, there's sinful pride and arrogance that can be the primary reasons to gun ownership, along with sinful worry over a fallen world. But some people just have fun shooting a gun and hunting. Is that sinful?

I mean, let's not generalize about the potential violence here. Let's get specific.

If some evil quack breaks into my home and is seconds away from killing my kids, philosophically speaking, is it better to shoot him with a gun, bash his brains with a baseball bat, or turn the other cheek?

Sure, maybe I shouldn't shoot him or bash his brains in anger. Maybe I should do it with love in my heart, hoping for a last second conversion experience as he bleeds out on the floor.

That's not the human experience. It may indeed be a byproduct of sin that generates the rage and desire to pull the trigger or swing the bat, but there is no amount of practice on Christlike living that will change that fact. The best I can hope for is God will change my heart, and that maybe I'll wish the dude hadn't died in my living room, that maybe he could have lived as a paraplegic and learned about God's love through a caring nun. That's the best I can hope for.

Thank goodness for God's grace, eh?

Pedro

m.d. mcmullin said...

A couple of things came to mind:

1 - I was startled by the size of the mans ears in the picture you showed. Wow, that is really something.

2 - This is a broad issue that may not have a easy answer. I do think the amendment was more about defending one's territory or country against evil governments, future attack etc (i.e. Red Dawn- WOLVERINE!)

A Christian owning a gun is not too much different than a Christian owning a knife, a car, or a pillow - all have the potential to bring violence and death.

This discussion reminds me of the movie "The Mission". Jesuits priests must decide whether to fight the invading Portuguese and defend the natives or "turn the other cheek" and hope for the best. The priests are split on what to do.

If someone breaks into my home and intends violence upon my family, I would more than likely stop them with whatever force I have. Would I kill them? Not intentionally.

It might be more of a sin to allow violence to happen to my family/friends and sit back and do nothing.

Nathan said...

Pedro, I love it! bashing in brains with love. Those nuns better be your next door neighbor!

I'm right with you and Mike, though. If my family's being threatened, I'm sure God will understand anything I do in protection of them.

Finally, there is no shot of this guy to be found that is flattering to his ears. I kept trying to find a way to fit "that waskully wabbit" in my post somewhere, but never got it in there.