Thursday, June 26, 2008

His Divine Power

Recently, Sunni and I began hosting a small group Bible study in our home on Sunday evenings. We're currently a group of 3 couples who attend 3 different houses of worship. It's a neat group. We're working through a study called the "Second Peter Principle" which is based on 2 Peter 1:3-11.

The clever name is a play on something called the Peter Principle, which states "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence." Basically, you're going to get promoted as long as you work competently. Eventually, though, you'll get to a level that you are incompetent, and that's where you'll stay. The passage in 2 Peter says "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness." So, by leaning on God's power, we never have to fear reaching that level of incompetence. Each session takes a look at one of the building blocks of our faith as outlined in this passage -

building on our
faith

goodness and on that
knowledge and on that
self-control and on that
perseverance and on that
godliness and on that
brotherly kindness and on that
love


This study has been a very practical, instructive study so far. When it comes to studies and discussion I like things in the theological/philosophical realm. It's fun and also a lot easier in that upper cosmos of theory. Going through a study that reads like an instruction manual for the building blocks of being a Christian is different. Now I'm looking down at my foundations and seeing some cracks from negligence and poor care. And being the one that is "leading" the group, I can tell you I really am at my level of incompetence. So, thank God that His divine power gives me everything I need, because we'd be stuck if we were relying on my power.

As we go through this study, I'll try to post thoughts, epiphanies, convictions that I get from our meetings so be on the look out.

3 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

I'm glad you're back in business.

Sounds like an interesting study and small group. Maybe when you meet at your house you could keep one of your leather chairs by the piano open in honor of me. That was my favorite seat. :-)

Liz said...

Sounds like a great small group study...for people who don't come to church on Sunday nights with the rest of us. (tee hee) Just kidding. I think it's great that you're opening your home & ministering in this way! Sounds great!

L.G. Reeves said...

What a novel idea, a small group of people in a home reading the bible and praying. who would have thought it?